Dharma is your duty to yourself and to society. This means following a course of action that is right for you. It will be something you do naturally and well. By following your dharmic or self-nature, you will most easily raise your vibrational level of awareness. Your karma conditions you through all your experiences to create the character required to carry out your dharma.
Let’s look at the case of a political leader. Over many lifetimes, he developed his leadership abilities. In this life, the family and environmental circumstance into which he was born and educated are karmic. But his dharma is “governmental leadership,” and in addition to responding to his own inner nature, he responds to the voice of his country and the inner direction of a greater whole in accepting the leadership role.
The best way to resolve your karma is to follow your dharmic direction-- the direction, which is natural and destined for you. There are seven general dharmic directions. It is your purpose to explore one of these paths with a particular soul goal that you chose prior to your birth.
1. WORKFORCE involves the largest number of souls. This path encompasses most general occupations and homemakers.
2. MILITARY includes soldiers, all forms of police and militia, and those who enforce the laws of the country, state and city.
3. SERVICE takes into consideration most religious workers, those in medical, welfare and social services, many practicing metaphysicians and those offering holistic health services.
4. CREATIVITY includes artists, writers, poets, musicians, actors, dancers, and entertainers.
5. SCIENCE encompasses medical researchers, scientists, space technologists and physicists.
6. PHILOSOPHY involves all who present theories about why man does what he does and how he might end suffering. Some church leaders would be included, along with philosophers and some metaphysical communicators.
7. GOVERNMENT includes political leaders, from the President of the United States to senators, governors, mayors, and anyone elected to office. This also includes those who take office by force through revolution.